SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own photoscenery, orthoscenery, Aircraft Re-paints or Missions who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

All Slow Down

tony.meredith

All Slow Down

Post by tony.meredith on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:41 pm

Guys,
    If you haven't picked up the news, Intel Chips have a major security flaw or two that extends back over the range for something like ten years.

Microsoft, Google and Apple are apparently working on 'patches' for their software to mitigate the effects of the flaws. The downside to these patches are estimates varying from 5% to something in excess of 30% reductions in processing speed.

AMD are reporting their chips, having a different architecture, don't have the problem.

Microsoft and Google have apparently posted their intention to take their cloud servers off-line at specific time in order to apply the patches.

This problem is not going to go away for years!

Tony

Admin
    Admin

Re: All Slow Down

Post by Admin on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:57 pm

I certainly wont be downloading the fix for win 7 as it doesnt affect gamers with nothing on their p.c's and i can do without the 35% reduction in performance they propose.
    just need to find a way of stopping win 10 from downloading it
    Linux is getting more and more interesting by the day especially as xp11 runs on it
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:09 pm

I was thinking of going AMD Ryzen on the next machine rebuild.  Looks like a better decision, as they may find something wrong with even the latest high end chips that are avail now in the shops.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:27 pm