SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own photoscenery, orthoscenery, Aircraft Re-paints or Missions who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

Broken Windows 10 - maybe not!

tony.meredith

Broken Windows 10 - maybe not!

Post by tony.meredith on Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:10 pm

Guys,
    I keep reading about problems with Windows 10 won't boot, won't recover, won't reset and won't repair!

If you have this problem may I suggest rather than pulling it to bits with a rebuild back to DOS 6.1, Windows 95 or even Windows 7 you try the following:-

Start your pc and boot into recovery mode, (F11 usually does it but check bios start screen).

From presented options choose 'Advanced' then 'Command Prompt'.

From here type the following exactly as is(do not type the colon at end of this sentence - no spaces before first letter):  chkdsk c: /r /x

Watch the repair in progress. It may take a while.

If chkdsk only scans you will need to run sfc /scannow and reboot.

Your problem should be solved (it is Microsoft after all).

Windows cannot repair itself because the boot parameter is corrupt and Recovery will not fix it, however the tools you need are all already there.

Hope this helps

Tony

Admin
    Admin

Re: Broken Windows 10 - maybe not!

Post by Admin on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:14 am

That was my exercise early last week Tony and it did find corruption bur no bad sectors, so after chkdsk giving it a clean bill of health downloaded a new spanky clean version of win 10 version 1709 once this had booted up ok i set about stopping all the spy progs , once this was accomplished i downloaded and installed xp11 and no sooner had i flown for about 30 minutes but xp11 would not fire up again well it fired up but the mixture control was pulled, without making too long a tale of it i fired up an xp 11 on a win 7 drive using file mangler, and the same thing happened, after several hours of head scratching i found that 2 folders in xp 11 had been deleted not only on the win 10 drive but also the xp 11 that i had fired up on win 7 drive. happily after restoring these 2 folders everything has worked tickety boo since then.
    What erks me is that far more knowlegeable people than i say this is impossible and windows cannot do this well if windows didnt who did? twice !!, I am no longer going to trust wn10 for anything of value, in fact why bother using it at all ? i cannot stop updates in 1703 you could tell it you were on a metered connection or to download updates at 3 am in the morning when the p.c was turned off but wirth 1709 m>s. have turned another screw.
    I also note having tried to install a hooky program that windows defender, without so much as a by your leave removes anything that it thinks is a virus/danger and there is no way of recuperating that file even if it was a false neutral its gone-- job done!
    I am rapidly coming around to the same set of mind as several of my compatriots here on simhave and will stay with win 7 with updates turned off and using a good firewall and antivirus, win 7 works correctly now and always will under that regime.
    One has to ask the question who is paying the m.s. bill for the "free" release of win 10 why should m's give away (largely) their biggest earner, something that is in billions of computers if there was not an ulterior motive, after this experience i will still keep win10 on a drive to see where it goes but as I see my simming future being with Laminar i am thinking of firing up a spare drive with linux to see how that performs as xp is available on linux. I have been building p.c's since windows 3.1 at one point had a good business back then, but this is pretty well the end of the line for me with windows.

tony.meredith

Post by tony.meredith on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:56 pm

Look on the bright side. The latest MS patch for the processor related problems seems to work for Intel processors. Unfortunately if you use an AMD chip that is more than a couple of years old the same patch will brick your system. As I have said before it is Microsoft!

To recap my own systems.
    Mobile: Windows 950 - superb phone interchangeable battery, memory expansion and a very high resolution screen. Microsoft pulled the plug on it months after purchase. I can't call it a smart phone because there never were many Apps and those I did have have long ago, (weeks after buying) either stopped working or aren't being updated. Thank you MS. I have replaced it with another Brand and will never buy another phone running a Microsoft operating system.

Fitness Band: Microsoft Band 1 then Band 2. - More sensors than any other make. Did everything I wanted including GPS auto scoring at golf that worked! Err MS decided they didn't want to do fitness so pulled the plug. Do we see a thread developing here. You are correct I will never buy anything from Microsoft in the way of fitness bands or watches. If it runs MS its not on my wrist. I purchased another brand and won't look back.

Tablet: Yes you guest it. Purchased one and they dumped it within a year. I purchased another Brand and won't be going back.

Computer: I ran my own business building and supplying MS operating system machines for the best part of 15 years. I have two running at the moment both on the latest stable build of Windows 10. They are both over five years old. When they die for whatever reason I will retire from Flight Simulation because I'm not spending another penny, cent or dime on anything from Microsoft.

Cheers,
    Tony
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:42 pm

Well I have sent win10 to the gallows.  Have replaced it with trusty win7 and disabled updates.  Can't see me going back to 10. will be glad to see a new comer, come onto the block with a decent operating system and wipe microsoft of the face of the earth. Amen.
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:13 pm

Its called LINUX..........................
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:18 pm

G-GMDH wrote:Its called LINUX..........................

Sounds very close to Durex and they can't be trusted. bounce bounce bounce Basketball
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:56 pm

The good thing about Linux is that it is absolutely FREE OF CHARGE. We had it on one of our very old computers and it ran for many years like a sewing machine, in fact we are just about to install one of the latest onto another Win XP computer as I type.

tony.meredith

Post by tony.meredith on Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:35 pm

You couldn't make it up!!!!!

Microsoft have announced the OS systems that will be slowed the most are............. you guest!

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-says-older-windows-versions-face-greatest-meltdown-spectre-performance-issues/?loc=newsletter_large_thumb_related&ftag=TREc64629f&bhid=91863676

Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin on Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:14 pm

talk about sour grapes, they know that win 7 is still far more popular than win 10 so like apple they are playing on peoples minds we are not really slowing your p.c/hanset down but we will make you think it may if you dont update i am never going to install these cpu updates, it all reminds me of the run up to 2000 with the millenium bug what a damp fizz that turned out to be

tony.meredith

Post by tony.meredith on Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:39 pm

Heads You Lose, Tails MS win!

OK guys you wish to refuse to install the new slow down patches. Its not a problem, really its not because if your AV software doesn't meet Microsofts new requirements then you can't have any security patches or updates full stop!

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-no-more-windows-patches-at-all-if-your-av-clashes-with-our-meltdown-fix/?loc=newsletter_large_thumb_featured&ftag=TRE-03-10aaa6b&bhid=91863676

Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin on Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:56 pm

clearly they are taking a page out of the Donald Trump rule by threats book
    It is quite clear that the AV suppliers that "play ball" with m.s. are allowed to use a certain key which must allow access past the firewalls whilst those that do a better job of keeping people out are not authorised, so m.s. will bad mouth them
    you could not make this up could you  this double "scare" is of no significance or concern to me in the least, I just fiind it amusing watching the lemmings/ sheep follow the m.s. regime.
    YOU have a choice ! resistance is futile you must assimilate !!
    I am not a number!!!! now where is that bouncing beach ball?

tony.meredith

Post by tony.meredith on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:29 pm

I run ESET AntiVirus and it is one of the few that follows all the rules set out for the OS over the years. It popped up a short time ago and advised there were 50+ patches awaiting install as part of the January update cycle.

I ran the cycle and my Win10 continues to run without problem. Looks like I shall be a flight sim person for at least another month, (hardware problems excepted).
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:34 am

Now lets have a closer look at this windows10 thingamajig.  First of all, what multi-million dollar company have you ever heard of, that gives away billions it's best selling item for free other than Microsoft.  So why?  Someone in the background must be financing it surely.  Me thinks NSA/CIA maybe?  

Windows 10 is the only windows version that does not allow you to turn off updates.  To better install newer NSA/CIA spyware maybe? Windows10 will not let you set up a home network to other computers in your home/busines unless you are logged into Microsoft.  Now that should have rung alarm bells in most people's minds long ago.  Windows 10 is a very unpredictable OS as it is very laggy, you select a program to open and it thinks about it for a moment, is that the NSA/CIA scanning you?  

For me, I have nothing to hide and the NSA/CIA can spend all day having a look around my computer, they will soon get bored.  But the one thing about Windows10 that killed it for me was that it decided to delete files from my system that prevented me from using installed programs.  

So it has been sent to the gallows.  

It was the first windows for me that I could not trust, as I did not know what was the next trick it would pull.  Now I have gone back to trusty ole'win7, where I am back in control of my computer not Microshit.  

LINUX is looking very tempting these day's.  

But I am happy with win7 and should have never gone down the bullshit route of Window10 blurb. (Best operating system ever) my arse!  I have updates knocked off on 7 so I wounder if the NSA/CIA bods will miss me.  Send me a Xmas card if you do..  

Happy chappie again...
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:25 pm

I tried Win 10, only because other forum members thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, your flight sim will look great etc etc. it was the biggest mistake I ever made, my PC was brought to its knees. In less than 24 hours it was deleted and I reverted back to my faithful Win 7 SP1 without all the 300+ security installs. All updates switch off. I have never had any problems with this OS using FSX, FSX Steam and currently P3D. Its the old adage "Don't fix what aint broke" every time!

I agree with Jaydor that Win 10 is a FREE information gathering device for the government agencies or am I just being paranoid?

Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:30 pm

there is no doubt that there are certain facets of win 10 that are quite good, the colours are much richer/fuller whether you use photos or a sim for example but in the main the pro's are well and truly outweighed by the numerous downsides of wiin 10.
    jaydor and I have discussed this at length on Skype, and as he says (and I have maintained from the word go) whoever is paying the piper gets to call the tune. Like all of us I have nothing in my p.c. that is remotely interesting to the security agencies, but one of the downsides of win 10 is its hesitation when selecting something, a few years ago these programs that keep track of your key pad pushes were called viruses, now M.s. in one full swoop has made viruses legal and it appears that the companies that create programs to protect us now have to leave back doors open , so one has to ask why??
    I will probably keep my small p.c. and my laptop running on win 10 , for my work, but of the 6 drives in my main p.c. 5 are currently win 7 and i am strongly thinking of converting win 10 to Linux. I have had a linux drive in the past and it is fine so as we can get xp11 for linux it will make an interesting comparison to see if there is any difference in how it works in various OS's
    bunnage59

Post by bunnage59 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:23 pm

This is the answer to my dreams https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10 My FS pC has been runing W10 for several months and no auto updates, sick!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:11 pm