SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own photoscenery, orthoscenery, Aircraft Re-paints or Missions who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

Help and advice requested for PC upgrade...

ddavid

Help and advice requested for PC upgrade...

Post by ddavid on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:36 pm

After nearly 10 years, my vintage PC is nearing the end - the D HD drive is not behaving well  - so, I'm asking for some advice.

I'd like to move to a more powerful CPU - like an i7? - so I need a new MoBo, CPU, cooler, etc.

With more sims going 64-bit, I'd like a bit more RAM - DDR3 maybe even DDR4 up to 16 GB?

I'm reasonably happy to keep my GPU and 22" monitor for the time being. I'm also happy to keep the 'box' and PSU as long as the new stuff can be accommodated.

So, can you give me some advice on what MoBo-CPU-RAM combo I should look at.

Oh yeah - budget! I can afford £500 ish (SWMBO has given the nod at this level!)

Not much, I know, but I should be able to get something which will be better than what I've got (remember it's > 10 years old).

And it might last me out - I'm no teenager no more (Ha!)

Thanks in advance - all suggestions welcome (Keep 'em clean! - Ed)

Ciao - Dai. Cool

tony.meredith

Re: Help and advice requested for PC upgrade...

Post by tony.meredith on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:57 pm

Dai,
    Have a look here: https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-pcs/

They have a section for Build your own. My only comment if your PSU is almost 10 years old it doesn't want to go in with new kit. If it blows your kit could go with it!

Tony
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:54 am

We know the feeling only too well David, your stomach sinks to the floor. Our 10 year + Win XP refurbished PC bought for 80 euros 5 years ago gave up the ghost last Friday. We went back to the same company and bought a HP Pro 3300 and loaded it up with Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit, less any updates and it goes like the speed of light, the boot time is 17 seconds. We use it to watch British TV and films over the internet and its running like a sewing machine with no stutters and the sound quality is like sitting in a cinema, all for 100 euros.

They supply refurbished computers all over Europe.

https://www.pcrigenerati.eu/8-COMPUTER

They have a HP i7 machine for under 350 euros.

You don't have to spend “loads of money” on computers these days.

Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin on Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:37 pm

David , you are between a rock and a hard place, my p.c is 5 years old other than the graphics , but the graphics card alone cost 350£  i have an I7 2600k the k ending is very important on any intel chip because you can overclock them jaydor has the same and we are running them both at 4.2mhz and have done so for years with no problems at all despite the naysayers. am I5 just doesnt cut the mustard and dont forget 16gb of memory is a must
    Now as it happens Jaydor is considering upgrading his p.c. I have no idea what he intends to do with the old kit but he may possibly be open to a suggestion, you will need to ask him, but his stuff would suit you very well, having looked at the prices it would cost you about 750£ to get something that would get close to our performance without the same graphics perhaps but it would certainly give you something much more useable.
    ddavid

Post by ddavid on Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:27 pm

Hi All and thanks.

Tony - the CCL site is excellent! And I'll need to look at that PSU...

Mike - love the "... con un piccolo supplemento"!! and W7 already installed.

Nigel - have looked at i7-MoBo combos - need to talk to Pam again!

Cheers - Dai. Cool

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:10 pm