SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own photoscenery, orthoscenery, Aircraft Re-paints or Missions who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

Horizon Simulation Photo Scenery of UK and RI.

tony.meredith

Horizon Simulation Photo Scenery of UK and RI.

Post by tony.meredith on Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:28 am

Guys,
    For the past several months I have been forwarding purchase requests to Paul Chaney for those wishing to buy Horizon Products.

As of this morning Paul has re-opened the Horizon web site to enable direct purchase of any and all volumes that you may be missing from your set.

The address is: https://www.horizonsimulation.com/shop/

The shop will be open for a limited time only and delivery will be via USB stick, either purchased with software or at reduced cost if you supply your own.

Tony
    ddavid

Re: Horizon Simulation Photo Scenery of UK and RI.

Post by ddavid on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:31 pm

Thanks for the heads up, Tony - interesting that there's virtually no information about download size, resolution, scenery objects (autogen replacement?), mesh (same as FSX?), blah blah. And 30GBP a pop is quite expensive, too.
    Still, good luck to Horizon - they started me off on this bl**dy hobby in the first place!
    Cheers - Dai. Cool

Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:47 pm

Thanks for the heads up Tony, I have had the horizon product for many years and for its era, was very good indeed, it is their fault that I got into making my own photoscenery , however things have moved on , as is normal and the free imagery we can get now , is way better than the good old horizon stuff, . When I last used FSX a few months ago, i did a direct comparison between the horizon product and the free italian photoscenery that covers all of Europe and there was virtually no difference in definition, just colouring, but time and tide wait for no man eh? I wish him luck in selling a bit more before calling it a day as it can still be used in P3D
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:08 am

Having looked at the web site, thanks Tony, you can kiss goodbye to over 400 quid if you need all of UK and Ireland.

For those not in a rush to part with their hard earned cash the UK and all of Ireland with buildings and trees for FSX and P3D will be available FREE from my Italian friends web site in the coming months, watch this space.

tony.meredith

Post by tony.meredith on Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:14 pm

I already have my own 'Ireland North' made up of Northern Ireland and the corresponding slice of the Republic. Fully water masked, colour matched to the best of my ability and 'painted' where needed to remove Wind Farms leaving only the base structures. I don't think anything looks sillier than photo scenery with a picture of a wind turbine, its shadow and then a 3D model on top with it's shadow.

I have a custom model of Donegal airport sitting within the scenery and matched up with 3D trees and some autogen collected from the web.

As per a previous post, time doesn't stand still and some of the best models and scenery are free not payware.

Tony

Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin on Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:54 pm

It is interesting to see the resurgence of free software !! it was once very popular in FS9 however the difficulty of doing anything in fsx (was this done deliberately?) meant that most products released were by devs with the aim to earning money, ( i cant fault that!) , with the release of the last few editions of X plane good freeware is once again available and it is P3D that is suffering as more and more Devs are seeing the avalanche of clients moving to XP and they want to be able to be part of it, however devs that produce "ordinary" for want of a better word, products are being put into place by those producing freeware products which far exceed in many cases what the pro's can produce. It is an interesting period for simming there is no doubt.
    From a personal perspective having made the move to XP with a steam driven P.C. despite it still being an unfinished product, going back to p3d  or FSX is like going back in time, yes fsx/p3d still work and do what they say on the label, but having moved on, it is difficult to go back, even though they hold many great memories. If I was going to go with p3d i would have to re-purchase  a huge amount of a/c and scenery, for what? when i can enjoy a product that is years ahead of p3d where initially i do not need to invest anywhere near the kind of money as i would do for p3d because of the glut of freeware that makes XP enjoyable beyond belief. LM make no effort to converse with their clentelle they produce what they perceive the market wants, or should I say what the big payers (government and professional contractors) want , we the average simmer only give them free fault finding, whereas Laminar as small as they are hold locums and such to get feedback of what the simmer wants, they know if the simmer is happy their professional clients will be also.
    ddavid

Post by ddavid on Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:52 pm

If only XP had a mission engine like FSX/P3D/FSW - I'd be there like a shot. From what I've seen of XP-11 on SimHaven, there is, as you say, little to compare between it and FSX/P3D. FSW's 64-bit base is a step in the right direction but Dovetail have such limited resources that the core sim will be trailing XP for the next 2 or 3 years at least.
    Cheers - Dai. Cool

Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:09 pm

It would be interesting to know what differences in team sizes existed between DTG and Laminar , as I understand it the Laminar team rarely work together in the same office , they are dotted around the country, but this may be heresay.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:24 pm