SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own photoscenery, orthoscenery, Aircraft Re-paints or Missions who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

Converting FSX airports to XP

Admin
    Admin

Converting FSX airports to XP

Post by Admin on Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:48 am

I am currently converting many of my FSX european major airports to work in XP, they are not perfect but are a whole lot better than the stock airports, plus you can then tweak them further if required if anyone has any requests drop me a line and i will send you the files

wharfedaler

Re: Converting FSX airports to XP

Post by wharfedaler on Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:42 am

Sir/Madam, You may wish to reconsider offering converted files. Some time ago I too had a large collection of converted FSX airports and considered offering copies (free) to X-plane owners. To check my legal footing I wrote to the companies concerned and explained what I wanted to do. I will paraphrase the response " You are free to convert any of your owned FSX sfeneries/airports on the PC where the FSX version is held. However YOU MAY NOT distribute copies to anyone without our express permission. We have invested a lot of time and money in creating our products and expect one person purchase per copy income in return. " however some responses were far more severe and one in particular wrote " read the terms and conditions of our product which states that you do NOT own your copy, you merely buy permission to have a copy - which we may revoke as we see appropriate. We sell our products in many different versions, and you may not convert our software, but insist that you own a copy of our software per version it is intended to be used on." . Now this was only a couple of years ago, so unless you want a legal challenge for the lost income for every copy you hand out, firstly read the terms and conditions, and if in doubt obtain written permission from the software owners. Please do not read this as criticism, but merely a suggestion from one forum member to another who is concerned that your generous offer may be challenged by the software owner seeking recompense from you for each copy distributed.

Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin on Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:22 pm

Hi, wharfedaler, I do take onboard seriously your good advice, however under EU law we DO own the software unlike the americans who are bound by their eula., of course this may change for the english if brexit comes to pass, however under EU law we are free to sell or give away any software (without any creators warrantee) as the terms or conditions are not evident before you have bought the product. It is also very difficult , nigh on impossible to get a refund for a downloaded product that you have opened if only to read the terms and conditions,
    There is also the question of how the developer will know if one does distribute 3 or 4 copies of whatever amongst friends  in a closed environment. Of course if a developer was already making a product say for XP and you were making an inferior copy available over the internet in direct competition with their  release it would be understandable for the dev to get upset.
    However one has to understand that using fs2xp does not make a top class product it produces something better than the default airports in xp but not something that is any competition for a professionally produced airport, in fact it could be argued that a poor repro would encourage the simmer to buy the better made one.
    To understand what ramifications may be forthcoming should you ignore the warnings of the devs who want to guard their products , all you have to do is study the case of a certain dev that put a virus in his A320 installtion files to catch out pirates, ok an understandable thing to do but totally illegal, what happened to him? nowt, rien nothing, and same would happen if a dev tried to collar a mere sim enthusiast the law has better things to do than chase after a penniless simmer.

Wharfedaler your input is more than welcomed please continue, btw were wharfedale speakers made near you?

sbague1

Post by sbague1 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:14 pm

I recently switched to X Plane 11 from P3D and have no regrets, however I miss TJSJ. X Plane 11 has nothing for Puerto Rico that I have been able to locate so far. I did purchase Latin VFR'S TJSJ and would love to see how this is done. That would be the cherry on top for me personally.

Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin on Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:13 am

I have a version of TJSJ I will see how it converts and PM you

wharfedaler

Post by wharfedaler on Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:41 pm

Dear Admin and other readers of this topic,

I am happy to read that under EU law you consider prosecution unlikely, however I choose to make my conversions for myself alone. Maybe I am too careful?

Anyway, those members of the x-plane forum x-plane.org will be able to see under my identity "Milkyway60" that I have spent a considerable amount of time converting what are, actually, superb scenery's and airports done under either FSX or P3D, and have main it clear that I do not share the conversions I have made. I speak only from experience, that on two separate occasions I was told I could not share my conversions with anyone, and in the case of ORBX that I must cease conversions immediately! Such a pity as I have managed to set up a system that converts almost every item/ object using a simple process that allows " built in " objects to be converted.. I have made a library of all my converted ( and files from the x-plane.org) into files by country making selection simple. I am currently reviewing my previously converted files to ensure they are x-plane 11 ready. Good luck sharing files, I do not have your confidence. As for the Wharfedale speakers, I have owned them but not bought from the garage in Ilkley where they started life.

wharfedaler

Post by wharfedaler on Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:05 pm

nb - I would be happy to share privately my methodology if you have access to my e-mail. I will not present it to the forum as it involves files that may be considered under microsoft copyright.

Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin on Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:45 pm

I understand your reticence and cannot criticise you for it, the main point is that we are converting these products for our own use we are not trying to earn money from offering them to others, feel free to PM me as I do not have a very efficient method of making some airfields play ball

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:13 pm