SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own photoscenery, orthoscenery, Aircraft Re-paints or Missions who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

FS 2 Copyright?

G-GMDH

FS 2 Copyright?

Post by G-GMDH on Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:49 pm

Posted on IPACS Forum this evening......................

I'm well on my way of completing over half of the UK in photo scenery with grateful thanks to Nick in sunny Cardiff in Wales for his amazing scenery creation software.

All the water has been edited by hand and at a resolution of 2.389 M/Pix and looks great even at 1500 ft. (So much clearer and crisper than my P3D scenery made with FSET at 2M/Pix resolution.

Ireland will be next on my list.

I am more than happy to share this scenery but have nowhere to upload it to and my upload speed is capped at 1Mb/sec.

Any thoughts from forum members please?

Reply.......................

Due to copyright issues we are unable to allow you to share any scenery that has orthos in its package. We apologize for any inconvenience due to this.

IPACS Development Team Member

My reply to this.....................

I don't understand "orthos" and to my limited understanding scenery made courtesy of Bing satellite imagery can be shared for non commercial gains.

IPACS reply...........................

Orthos (or aerial images) are what our scenery engine use to make scenery. We can't allow any sharing of these sceneries on our servers.
    jaydor

Re: FS 2 Copyright?

Post by jaydor on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:12 am

The reason is obvious, IPACs want to sell their own scenery as it expands, so any competition is stopped in its tracks. Back to the ole' greed before free syndrome...

Admin
    Admin

sour grapes

Post by Admin on Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:44 pm

you will not be distributing it via their servers if people want it, you will use i transfer or similar so ignore them, but I also agree with Jaydor , it is precisely this greedy attitiude that put paid to Flight and Flight sim world and it will do the same to IPACs if they dont back off
    ddavid

Post by ddavid on Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:14 pm

@ Mike: Am I right in thinking that OrthoXP is X-Plane software - or is it Freeware from an independent developer, like FSET? If it is X-Plane's, then I guess they have the right to say what they've said. Then, of course, as Nigel says, it's up to us to take notice - or not. Be interesting to see what X-Plane might do to transgressors...
    Cheers - Dai. Cool
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:08 pm

Hi David,

I'm not sure, but our other reader may come forward to clarify this, it is independent from the purchased XP - 11 licensed software.

However I have clarification from Bing that it is perfectly OK for me to download their satellite images and use them in my flight sim as photo scenery, however I am not allowed to re distribute the images to anyone. Embarassed

Mike.
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:48 pm

This is worth its weight in gold, suggest print it and frame it..................................

Courtesy of IPACS Forum Member.

Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin on Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:23 pm

i have been registered there for 6 years and still not got beyond upload data source
    anyone out there willing to help the blind???
    ddavid

Post by ddavid on Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:30 pm

Hang on!

IPACS is Aerofly - right?

ORTHO-XP is X-Plane - right?

How are the 2 sims connected in terms of copyright, etc?

Cheers - Confused from Mid Wals (Dai) Cool
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:46 pm

Welsh/Italian Dai. He should be forced to speak Australian...
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:25 pm

Hi David, the copyright issue is only to do with downloading Bing satellite images, nothing to do with any of the flight simulator software.

I decided to contact Adam Williams at Bing, Micro Soft and ask the question myself.................

Adam Williams N3 LLC

Hi Adam,

A friend of mine Chris asked me to contact you for help. I have for many years downloaded the Bing satellite images having signed up for the free user licence on line and I use it in my flight simulator as a keen aviator of 62 years.

My PC uses Microsoft Win 7 and I enjoy the challenge of making home made photo scenery.

I understand I am OK to do this as in no way am I using these images for commercial gain solely for my hobby. Also is it possible to share my home made photo scenery with other flight simmers.

Please can you confirm my understanding is correct please.

Kindest Regards,

Reply from Bing, Micro Soft...........................

Good evening Michael,

As long as you are creating derivative content or data and providing proper attribution, you should dbe fine in this respect.

If you wish to discuss further, I am happy to arrange a brief chat.

Have a great evening!

Adam Williams  |   Bing Maps Licensing  |  Business Development Manager

As I always make a point of stating on any of my You Tube videos and or photos "Satellite images courtesy of Bing" I am within the terms and conditions of my free licence with Bing Micro Soft.
    ddavid

Post by ddavid on Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:03 pm

Thanks, Mike - so IPACS has no copyright on the Bing images, and Microsoft is happy with you distributing same as long as there's no financial strings. So why do IPACS have an issue with the use of the ORTH-XP software that produces the photo scenery (from the Bing images)?

And I still don't  understand the XP/Aerofly link...

Cheers - Dai. Cool

G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:20 pm

Yes that's correct David the copyright is solely with Bing, Micro Soft.

James hit the nail on the head as IPACS want to sell you scenery, not make your own, reading their forum they seem to be putting the frighteners up people like myself making our own stuff.

As far as I am concerned I have registered with Bing and have their approval and I am complying with their terms and conditions of use.

Back to downloading and editing scenery for FS 2.

It does look a lot sharper than FSX and or P3D.

Works faster too, 240 FPS flat out, give it ago on your PC David?

Cheers Mike.

ddavid

Post by ddavid on Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:06 pm

G-GMDH wrote:...

Back to downloading and editing scenery for FS 2.

It does look a lot sharper than FSX and or P3D.

Works faster too, 240 FPS flat out, give it ago on your PC David?

Cheers Mike.

Sounds good - but wouldn't I need Aerofly FS2 - or does ORTHO-XP work with FSX?

Still puzzled...

Cheers - Dai. Cool

Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin on Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:32 am

Hi David you are confusing two different sims, mike is using icarus aerofly FS2 now and they have their own program similar to ortho4xp that only works with aerofly. XP11 has ortho4xp there are emormous similarities between the 2 image collecting progs in fat they are nearly identical the main difference for whatever reason is that ortho downloads a tile which is logical at 1 deg lat 1 deg long, which is composed of many of the smaller tiles we used with fset in fsx. as i understand it the prog for FS2 creates square shaped tiles whic take some work to get them to link to their neighbours. Hopefully mike will give us a tutorial in due course.
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:30 am

For clarification IPACS who offer the Aerofly FS 2 flight sim suggest using FSET to make scenery.

However I tried this and it works OK until you do a corresponding area and want to "join" them, then it all goes belly up.

Alas a nice chap in Cardiff, up the Welsh, has developed FREE software called "Aero Scenery" which automatically makes scenery from either GE or Bing.

I'm currently about 2/3 done of the UK in 2.389 M per Pix which looks perfectly fine from 2000 feet.

I then do extremely high resolution (Bing will only go down to 0.299 M per Pix) for my favourite airfields and surrounding areas.

Other members are working on software to convert OSM data to make building, vegetation, street lights and airports, so its a very active forum.

Cheers Mike.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:28 pm