SimHaven

Hi, Welcome to Simhaven the Friendly Worldwide Forum for Flight Simulation
If you are a member please log in here,

if you wish to be a member please use the Register button

This International Haven is for Enthusiasts of Flight Simulation, Especially those interested in creating their own photoscenery, orthoscenery, Aircraft Re-paints or Missions who are looking for a friendly, Informative clubhouse atmosphere.

strange sights in XP

britfrog

strange sights in XP

Post by britfrog on Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:23 pm

there i was quietly descending through the real murk created by NOAA over the isle of Wight, hoping to scud run into EGHI when I turned northbound out of Cowes I cam across this flotilla heading out to sea are they off to the Falklands again?

G-GMDH

Re: strange sights in XP

Post by G-GMDH on Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:04 pm

Nice set of pictures, is that ORBX True Earth UK South?
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:06 pm

Hi M8 it is TE UK !it is quite good, not perfect by a long chalk and not much good if you want to fly with a vfr map on your lap as it doesnt showsmall rivers and some of the railways are not correct, This afternoon i have been flying around Southampton zone and although they do have Beaulieu (disused) airfield and stoney cross airfield which are reporting points to the west of soton they have put in a fictitious railway fro soton to lymington and christchurch, and although they show marshy land in that region they dont show rivers.
    Yeah I know i am being picky but our own ortho shows these things correctly, and you can navigate vfr with our ortho, on the other hand if you want to bimble along and gork out of the window as the world goes by TE UK is spot on
    It is easy to be overly critical of TE UK after all how long does it take for us to create our own scenery? at 30 odd euros it is still a no brainer, but the trade off for accuracy is the forests are great and the immersion is a bit better than we get with ortho plus a few free add ons .
    if orbx really push the boat out and transfer all their uk airports to XP that will be a great start I have just made my own EGHI which took a few hours only to discover orbx have released their excellent version for under 20 euros
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:16 pm

Thanks Nigel, that would muck it up for me too. Why o why cant ORBX get it to look correct as does FSET and all the other scenery down loaders, it beats me?

"They" tell us it costs "loads of money" for the commercial license to access the satellite images of "better quality" (I question this) and then produce this.

OK you can argue well it only costs 30 quid, so what, lets get it looking as it should.
    britfrog

Post by britfrog on Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:07 am

a valid point mikei was flying around Cardiff and swanaea the other day and that looked ok the 2works " at port talbot looked a bit naff but the rest was ok. i will have a flight out of biggin later over kent and see how that compares. I will cut them a bit of slack around beaulieu as one rarely flies low there one simply flies over there flying from the continent trying to stay out of sotons control zone
    i will send you a part of the map via email
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:35 am

britfrog wrote:Hi M8 it is TE UK !it is quite good, not perfect by a long chalk they have put in a fictitious railway fro soton to lymington and christchurch,

Ah!  The anti ORBX shows through.  You are wrong with your remarks as to the railway.  There is now a fully Network Rail restored and working passenger line to Limington and Christchurch has always been on the network.  

There is also now a full connection to the network from Wareham to Swanage.  There are many restored lines on the network that have been added back onto the system in recent years.  You exiles forget, that progress does occur in the UK with you gone.

Also you should know by now that we will always get updates to ORBX when the users point out the missing...
    G-GMDH

Post by G-GMDH on Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:38 pm

Hi James, thanks for your update on the railways so ORBX has got it looking like the real thing, I take back my unfounded comments then.

Its good to see that ORBX has got their act together after all these years and looking forward to seeing the rest of the UK soon.

Cheers Mike.

britfrog

Post by britfrog on Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:01 pm

well I have to admit that I was wrong, having re-flown my route around soton it only goes to show what all pilots know ie there is nothing more difficult to find than an airport at times.
    In short bealieu is not easy to find

what i had found was this

which was also a wartime base called holmsley south
    and because i was too far west i did not see the rivers either rmember correct for gross error
    jaydor

Post by jaydor on Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:27 am

Those peski little critter's like to play havoc in our computers and make us see things. Good to see all is well and it was only a ghost train you saw... affraid

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:28 pm